Tuesday, March 5, 2013

My life in Instagram: A Personal Story

When Melissa tweeted me yesterday about my virtually criminal negligence of dear old Fashademic, I realised it's been over three months since I've posted. And as any blogging guru can tell you, the key to blogging success is to post regularly. So, in the words of Nineties classic Hook's Captain Hook: 'poor form, Peter. Poor form.' We will substitute Peter's name for my own and reread the quote in Dustin Hoffman's silky drawl and we are up to speed.

There are lots of reasons for my absence, dear readers, and none of them include being over blogging- they're mostly to do with an October 2013 thesis submission date (that's the aim, anyway!) and the arrival of the gent from the US. But really, when you come down to it, the true reason is that I have discovered Instagram. I am, as always, on the very cutting edge of technological developments and yes I am available for consultation for all that is "cool" and "happening" in the world of the Webz. Call me.

So, drumroll please! My life of the past three months through the lens of Instagram:



Here's where we left off. December 2012. My desk, crammed with books and pictures I like to have around when I work, including an artwork by my dear friend Olivia and the 'La Baleine' mug my parents got as a wedding gift ('Le Cochon' disappeared long ago.) Good for slurping jasmine green tea out of when on a deadline. I was working hard, writing up a history of fashion and personal style blogs to get to my supervisor by the end of the year and I am happy to report that the deadline was successfully met! High fives all around (from myself to... myself.)

And there was a bit of this also, for this was the year I discovered Coogee Womens' Baths. And if you're a lady who likes swimming/sunbasking by hydrangea bushes while overlooking the Pacific Ocean, I highly recommend it. (NB: I say 'sunbask' while assuming you would do so while wearing 30+ sunscreen, right? I like Mecca Cosmetica's To Save Face daily sunscreen- not greasy, thick or white and it works like a charm.)
I maintain that the matching of my nails to my bikini was purely coincidental.

There is a truth universally acknowledged that a blogger in discovery of a reflective surface must be in need of a selfie. And so I present summer outfit number one- a Desert Designs silk cropped top with Rittenhouse silk skirt, Dries Van Noten sunglasses and my battered old Coach Messenger bag (a $40 find at Bondi Markets about five years ago and still going strong.) This is me in the lift outside PG-ARC, thankfully alone in there (although as if the presence of other postgrads would stop me!)

The summer of 2012/2013 shall also be known as the summer of Herd Your Horses. This was a favourite childhood boardgame I rediscovered with Nick as long nights were spent drinking wine and moving our stallions around the board as we collected our herd and made for Green River Valley. Yes we did. I am not ashamed.

So then we headed down to Melbourne where my parents live and we spent a sweet time there with them, chilling at Williamstown (visitor recommendation: get the ferry and then have fish and chips in the park. Idyllic is the only appropriate adjective) and exploring the city. This is what Williamstown Harbour looks like. See what I mean about idyllic?

OH HAI. Here's me channelling Nicole and Margaret and having a photoshoot en situ. Except here I exchange glamorous for grimacing. But at least my awkward photo face is diminished by this silk Dries Van Noten shirt (eyed off for months before snatching it up on sale, high fiving self again!) and this *sigh* brocade skirt. I have told you before about American Rag and how it is the best vintage store? Well, last time I was there I spent three hours in there (not exaggerating) and I tried this lush skirt but I was temporarily taking leave of my wits and didn't buy. Fast-forward a month and I am nose-against-glass, straining to catch a glimpse of its silk-satin loveliness inside the store (which was closed, I might add. I might be weird but I'm not that weird!) Luckily for me it was still there and here I am gloating enjoying a day at St. Kilda whilst wearing it.

Upon returning from Melbourne I moved house! And I was seized by a frenzy to downsize my many (many, many) possessions (accumulated how?) and so my beloved fash mag collection was culled again. This is the top of a green recycling bin FULL of glossy pages collected from circa 2001. I still have my cherished favourites, don't worry- the December 2005 Vogue Australia guest edited by Gemma Ward (favourite issue of all time) and the Lula edited by Karen Elson celebrating redheads are still in my care.

Taking a moment to smell the roses at a winery in the Mornington Penninsula, Victoria. Here I am after sampling about twenty different kinds of wine, again with the Coach Messenger bag and also in one of my favourite dresses, by Bernhard Willhelm. I will look back on this photograph in the months to come, remembering the sweet sunlight and the wine and the flowers because instead of having petals in my face I will have...

This
Because I have seven months of PhD good times left and I plan on making the most of them with this little guy. You will notice my new desk space is less cluttered and also this photo was taken on a Saturday night. It was a couple of weeks ago and the thought of it still makes me feel smug.

And I also got a haircut. Last year, another PhD student asked, 'how old are you? Nineteen?' So this year I am striving for more of a profesh look (I am almost 27 after all!) and got a grown-up haircut. 

So this is me, looking forward down the barrel of 2013. I am teaching Performance Studies again this semester which is exciting, I'm currently writing my first chapter which frames my approach, methodology and the existing academic literature on style blogs, and I'm also determined to buy less this year- less clothes, less magazines, less stuff in general. I want to find new ways to enjoy what I already have. We'll see how long this lasts...


Note: I don't receive compensation nor free product from any of the stores or labels mentioned on this blog. If I mention something it's because I honestly like it and think it does a great job/is made well/what have you. If ever anything is sent to me for free to shoot or try, I am explicit about it. 

4 comments:

  1. Totes funny. I've been entertained by your blog for the last 1/2 hr. I landed here from a Vogue tweet which linked to your piece about journalism vs. fashion bloggers which was great too. <3 your writing style. Goodluck with your pHD.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I give you a month to enjoy what you already have. No, a week. Because seeing how you craved for that skirt so much, it won't be long before you want something else to wear.

    "Because instead of having petals in my face I will have...This" laughed so hard. This blog is entertaining. I hope you post lots of things on here because they're funny.

    ~Lisa Schmithorst Pittsburgh PA

    ReplyDelete
  3. I give you a month to try and spend less, but I know you will probably be unsuccessful lol. And by the way, I never would have guessed you were 26 years old, you look so young!

    Funny blog! My outdoors world was crushed by the internet too. :D

    ~Lisa S. Pittsburgh PA

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Lisa! It is true, I am an incurable faller-in-love with beautiful clothes. I actually have stopped buying new clothes this year- partly because my scholarship will be ending soon and partly because I moved house in February and was aghast at it all. So I donated, sold and gave away anything I didn't think I would wear anymore and am loving finding new ways to wear what I already have... which totally does not mean I don't give my heart to layered chiffon Dries Van Noten skirts I have no hope of ever owning...
    I'm glad you like the blog! And think I'm funny, you should totally keep reading because clearly you are discerning and have an excellent sense of humour.

    ReplyDelete