Monday, April 23, 2012

London Visual Diary: The Past Week.

The most hipster cafe I've ever been to, arguably the most hipster in existence. They had lego stirrer holders, posters torn from the pages of TV Hits featuring all my Nineties favourites like S Club Seven, Westlife and Robbie, bleached and bad and post-boy band. They have the 'Dirty Chai' on the menu which is coffee and chai mixed and served in a used cup. I thought it was a joke but the deadpan waitress raised an eyebrow when I asked and said it's one of their most popular orders. Of course it is.

Mesmerisingly white swans in Hyde Park. Spotted as day melted into night.

Talking of coffee, I take it very seriously. Well, you know this, right? And I've now compiled a comprehensive list of the best coffee shops in London. Mostly located in Soho and West London because they're my digs, yo. You're welcome:
-Fernandez and Wells, I prefer the 73 Beak Street (Soho) location because the baristas are extra-lovely and the cakes are off the chart. All plum this and malted caramel that. Uh-huh.
-Sensory Lab, 75 Wigmore St Marylebone . Best macchiato of my life. 
-Granger and Co., 175 Westbourne Grove, Notting Hill. My local. Creamy, smooth coffee and it was founded by Sydney darling Bill Granger. Represent. Also: the scrambled eggs? Don't even get me started. Like a cloud of breakfast in your mouth.
-Leila's Shop, 17 Calvert Ave Shoreditch. Lovely. And the croissants are perfection and the fried eggs with sage are pretty damn good too and they don't even judge you if you order both at the same time all for yourself (um.)
-Monmouth Coffee, worth lining up in the frigid air at Borough Markets for. Because they brew the coffee like this:
SO. GOOD. 
I couldn't love this M.A.C. Neon Orange lipstick more if I tried. MFEO. I actually got stopped by a stranger the other day who asked after it, and then we shared a moment in appreciating M.A.C. and their lipsticks. True story. 
The one that got away. A vintage Givenchy gown sighted in Lucy In Disguise in Soho, all precious floral beading and green and white striped silk chiffon. Floorlength, heavy and sheer-light at the same time, it's a real 'lady' dress. It also costs 1200 pounds. And luckily for me and my beaten-down credit card, it was a bit on the small side. But I had to take a close up because just look at the detail! Beautiful tones and contrast of the beading and chiffon, and if I was a springtime bride, this would be on my back. I mean, if it fit and everything. And if by some miracle I had 1200 pounds to splash around. And if I was getting married. Ok, so obviously this is a hypothetical that's going nowhere fast, let's move on.
Just some of the loveliness on offer at Maison Bertaux (28 Greek St). It's London's oldest patisserie, and was revealed to me by my good friend Liv who knows all the best places to go eat cake and stalk designers (The George and Dragon in Shoreditch, sorry, what?) The chocolate eclair was sublime. (Side note: I warned you that Fashademic was teetering on the brink of becoming a food blog, didn't I? I can resist no longer. Look at that choux!)
 oo-er. The hipster cafe strikes again. Funny, but.
What I want to do to my bedroom walls when I get home. Thanks for the stylespiration, Stella McCartney boutique. Love your work.

6 comments:

  1. Rosie - this saved my life (and caffeine addiction) while I was in London:
    http://www.worldbaristachampionship.com/2010-london-coffee-map.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loving the London posts Fasha. Great pics. Damn that lipstick's hot, yo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, a used cup! Form an orderly queue, patrons...
    Thanks Bec! I'll add to my shortlist of cafe lifesavers...

    ReplyDelete
  4. What. But. Health codes. I don't understand!

    ReplyDelete
  5. so you did buy the topshop shirt? i love it against the orange lipstick!

    ReplyDelete