Saturday, March 24, 2012

The movement of motionless man.

 'The first air show at the Grand Palais in Paris, France. September 30th, 1909. Photographed in Autochrome Lumière by Léon Gimpel.' - AnOther Magazine
I love the soft colours, the momentary stillness, the quiet magnificence of hot air balloons fully suspended underneath a ceiling.

Penchant for neon installations continues. 

underwater + x-ray + couture.

Vintage blue taffeta skirt that puts me in mind of Jil Sander under Raf Simons (partially excited to see Sander herself resume the Creative Directorship, partly in woe for Simons' departure. Still not over Spring/Summer 11. The tangerine skirt continues to haunts me.)

Peonies. 

That is, if I'm not mistaken, a paper bustier. How awesome is its exaggerated shape? Like the prow of a ship.
Also: I love her white t-shirt, the simplicity of her hair and her expression. It looks like a catwalk candid but she seems so contemplative, so in her own world.

What a photograph. 
It reminds me of Man Ray and his manipulation of light and shade, or Olive Cotton's photograph Teacup Ballet, the way her camera rendered quotidian objects abstract, startling. 

Well. I really should get onto my marking. I just needed to swim in images for a little while before abandoning myself entirely to words. 
Happy Saturday, nerds x


images from AnOther Loves


No comments:

Post a Comment