Friday, February 10, 2012

Hooray!


As my public diary of PhD adventuring, I feel it only fitting to share here on Fashademic that my very first academic article was recently published in the Australasian Journal of Popular Culture. It's about outfit posting, how it relates to fashion imagery and bloggers' self-representation, with some thick description of me doing an outfit post thrown in for good measure. 


For those of you playing at home, getting articles published is important because the process of being accepted and working your writing towards publication helps you hone your academic writing skills, it gets your work before the eyes of experts who will peer review it, and once published, your ideas will be circulated to a wider audience. There is a little pressure (or a lot, depending on the people around you) to publish a number of articles before you submit your thesis. I heard a talk by Lisa McLaughlin, the editor of Feminist Media Studies Journal when I was in the first year of my PhD. She said that when she was a post-grad, maybe twenty years ago, if a student published anything at all before submitting, that was exemplary. Now, she said that most students seem to be aiming to have between 4-6 articles published before they submit- i.e. the system has sped up exponentially.


I really can't imagine managing to churn out another 3-5 articles before I submit (which will be sometime late next year, I should think.) Two, maybe three, publications in total seems more likely; this one alone took about four rewrites, countless re-reads and weeks of solid researching to beef up my reedy conference paper into a robust article. It's not a huge deal, but I guess because it's my first one, I'm a little proud of it. And a few of you have mentioned that you'd be interested to read my work, so... and now I'm bashful. Any interested readers can access it here for about $18, or go all out and buy the journal here. Do let me know what you think, unless you find any typos or grammatical errors in which case, never, never tell me. 





6 comments:

  1. All it takes is the phrase 'thick description' and I'm right back in the Performance Studies classroom.

    Congratulations on publication lady! This is most exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ha ha totally! Or any mention of Clifford Geertz. Thanks Kayla x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing! I wish I'd chosen a topic this interesting for my PhD (or maybe anything would have waned in interest after 4 years).

    ReplyDelete
  4. well, I don't think I'll keep reading style blogs after I submit- maybe by then, six years of blogging will have been enough? That said, I still enjoy reading Style Bubble, Final Fashion and Garance Doré (among others!) so maybe I am just a diehard style blogger nerd and will be ever more. What did you do your research on?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm still writing up (otherwise known as spending my days making endless cups of tea and browsing the internet or running to fisher for "one last book") on Australian artists in Paris/London 1890-1914 - I guess I still love the Edwardian art, dresses, architecture, decor, jewellery...but I can't really enjoy it properly anymore - I just HAVE to look at it analytically.

    ReplyDelete
  6. O nice! The only one of those I know is Rupert Bunny but I think he's unreal. What a great topic! But can totally appreciate the fatigue- four years is a long time to have one thing on your mind, o I don't know, ALL THE TIME. I love the Edwardian era too- beautiful. Hopefully the appreciation will return after you submit? (Not to freak you out by waving submission in your face. A colleague asked me how far through I was yesterday and then said, 'Oh! You'll almost be ready to submit then?" I think my face completely froze over ha!

    ReplyDelete