Friday, December 3, 2010

keyword of the day

self-actualisation: the achievement of one's full potential through creativity, independence, spontaneity, and a grasp of the real world.

Definition provided by the anonymous folk at dictionary.com
I have no qualms about posting their definition on this blog but would baulk at using it in my thesis. Most of that is attributable to the fact that I don't know who wrote the definition or how they collate them- is it like wikipedia, where anyone can upload information? Part of my reticence is also due to the fact that I got it on the internet. I feel like getting a definition out of a printed dictionary is more trustworthy- that it must have been edited and revised before going to print. Who's to say that that didn't also happen online too? And yet I am more suspicious. 
The fact that they used the phrase 'real world' in their definition makes me suss too. Who can define what the 'real world' is? Isn't that relative? And how does 'spontaneity' tie to 'grasping the real world'? Hm...

No comments:

Post a Comment