Friday, August 20, 2010

'It's on like Donkey Kong'


The sky is big and bright and blue today, almost limitless and just vast enough to contain all of these ideas flying through me. I met with both of my supervisors this morning and walking home from uni, it was all I could do to restrain jubilant air punches. Luckily my arms were full of books or I would have made quite the spectacle of myself!

So on the one hand- plunging into ideas about whether or not writing about yourself is necessarily a kind of narcissism, the differences between and merging together of public and private spheres, and the authority of girl bloggers who stake and claim their own space online to exercise and express knowledges and explore aspects of their identity.
And on the other- the sprawling flourishing world of fashion theory, tied to art, tied to commerce, tied to thinkers like Barthes, Baudrillard and Benjamin. There are histories there, multitudes of thoughts just within my reach to be grasped and pored over and mulled on. There is a summer coming with days to tempt me out to sit under trees to learn, to learn, to learn.

I feel like I am brimming. And it is a glorious, glorious way to feel. 

Image by Tim Walker.

No comments:

Post a Comment