Tuesday, June 29, 2010

know that the answer isn't for our eyes.








These are stills from a video installation that was the last work that we saw at the Biennale today. There were nine screens set up in a circle which we stood in the middle of and turned, turned turned. The images were fitted together from photographs, like a stop-motion collage of women and men and children of every age and race doing their thang. 'Their thang' consisted of playing tennis, lying langorously on pool chairs, looking impeccable in tennis whites, running aerobics-styles, playing with swords, re-enacting scenes from Greek mythology, doing some kind of witchy dance- you know, your everyday weekend activities.

The artists are a Russian collective called AES+F and this piece is titled 'The Feast of Trimalcha.' It was like being surrounded by a live action D&G campaign which is, as I'm sure you can appreciate, very fantastic! A highly recommended experience.

5 comments:

  1. Is it indeed from Satyricon? Huh. In that case it would be The Feast of Trimalchio, rather than 'Trimalcha', I think. Entirely enthralling, I agree!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure is! I copied the name out of the booklet, so I guess someone made a typo somewhere along the line? how embarrassing! Have you seen it, Melissa? I'd be interested to hear what you thought of it;) It's kitschy, glossy, epic (in the true sense of the word) and disturbing all at once!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had to double-check the booklet I picked up, but it says 'Trimalchio', here. Weird. I went with Diana, but we were short on time so I didn't really read the artist statements. I plan on heading back there.

    It was...slick. That is the best word I can think of to describe my reaction. It made me want to buy things and revel in them. Preferably at the expense of limited natural resources and the underpaid workers probably used to produce them, and to not feel an iota of that weighing on my conscience. To substitute all my needs with wants. To starve for the sake of manicured fingernails and perfectly coiffed hair. Gloriously, triumphantly, and wonderfully vacuous! I revelled in it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really? Maybe I just totally misread it then! Entirely possible... If it's 'Trimalchio' in the Satyricon then it's probably the same on the artwork.
    What a reaction! Starvation and abandoning conscience to the wind... that would probably make the artists' day if they were to read it ha

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hee, most likely! 'Seductive' is probably another word I'd use. ;D

    ReplyDelete