Tuesday, June 29, 2010

About as cringe-worthy as the 'Louise Vuitton' joke.

Announcement time! I am taking the week off my thesis (can you take a week off a thesis or is that like saying you're taking a week off from your marriage? Do people do that? Maybe I should remember the timely words of Carrie Bradshaw, that 'marriage is different for everyone and you've got to figure out what suits you.'

You better believe it, I saw SATC2 yesterday and the less said about that experience the better! Except that it was with the Chipbox ladies (don't ask, won't tell) which is always a pleasure. Plus all together we are two blondes, a brunette and a redhead, almost too naff to be true when going to see Carrie & co.

And talking of 'and co.s' have you ever noticed that Tiffany & Co. jewellery sometimes bears the stamp 'T&Co.' Uh, I do believe that reads as 'TACO' to some people. Aka me. Takes the classy down a bit?)

I can't even pretend I had a point any more, but I did go to the Sydney Biennale today with Mum and it was fantastic. We took the free ferry (which looked like a supersized bath toy) to Cockatoo Island where we proceeded to have our minds and eyes blown apart by slow-motion exploding cars, a room full of hovering green balls and an awesome 360 degree video installation which was a D&G editorial meets a still-life meets the Hamptons meets Cicciolina.
















The artworks that I photographed are:  Cai Guo-Qiang's 'Inopportune: Stage One' (aka exploding cars); Rohan Wealleans' 'He with Glands of Wasp' (or, 'There's a jaw in my stomach, dear Liza, dear Liza'); Kader Attia's 'Kasbah'; Slave Pianos' 'Penalogical Pianology: The Timbers of Justice'; and Peter Hennessey's 'My Hubble'. 
I don't know who is behind the green balls-in my Biennale booklet the room they're in is labelled 'performance space', so maybe I saw the bones of this artwork instead of the whole thing. It was one of my favourite installations, though, because you could walk in amongst it- it was like swimming through seaweed, but in an enormous container with a concrete floor and old signs on the walls telling you not to smoke because it's a National Security area (!)
All the old signs and shots of the roof are me marvelling at the antiquity and great design of the buildings on the Island. Gorgeous. And just a bit Victorian.

2 comments:

  1. Ah the island! The green balls are Choi Jeong Hwa's Hubble Bubble, relocated from outside the SOH after some nasty winter winds. And there...that one in the middle and yes over there up on the right side and maybe third from the back...are the ones I made...or they could be ....so many green baskets.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ah, best! Thanks Annalice!
    Aren't they magnificent?

    ReplyDelete