Saturday, May 15, 2010

the women. {commentary}

You didn't think I could post a volley of images and not say anything about them did you?

Briefly, though, because I have a date with Word today (we're going to be going steady real soon, I just know it!)

I'm curious about what you felt as you looked through the pictures below. Inspiration posts often seem to convey something of how the bloggers are feeling or what has caught their fancy, but as Mel said in class the other day "things mean different things to different people." She was more articulate, though, and she was talking about the wanton and unextrapolated inclusion of quotes in essays. I think the principle works here though, too. And it seems to me that content of any kind will speak to a viewer in a unique way depending on who they are regardless of the blogger's own motivation for posting.

If you felt apathy or boredom as you scrolled down, that's still a reaction. I'm interested in what you felt from the images, how they spoke to you, and why you think you did.

For me- I like to gaze at the beauty of the images. The stark gothic stare of Karen Elson in the first photograph- very Hitchcock, no? The Sasha Pivovarova by Tim Walker shot- her bowl cut! Her lithe limbs! It is as if she is paused, expectant as she perches so daintily on the edge of that bed. I love the way it contrasts to the other bowl-cut brunette above in her tragic love story with the coal-smudged soldier. The woven rug makes me think of feminism- I love the upward tilt of her chin, the hopefulness in her eyes but also the slight datedness of her close-cropped curls- a woman amongst girls. I instantly loved the cacophony of freckles on this model's face, and she reminds me of the description of Ellen in Murray Bail's Eucalyptus ("it was a speckled beauty.") I love the old cinema feel of Gemma's black-and-white closeup, the glamour of her belieing her youth. (Did I spell 'belieing' correctly? To belie/bely... o dear. They both look wrong.) The lost expression on Sasha's face- she looks as if she has just realised that she has lost something or someone very, very precious, and the next sound from her mouth will be  a cry of disappointment or despair. The absurdity of the tulle gown which flows and froths all over but covers nothing- so dramatic! The stare of the Picasso sketch- her glorious simplicity and a sense of self-assuredness that I so admire, even though she is only pencil on paper. And the toyworld skewiffness, the dotty spottiness and tin soldier of the final shot. Karen Elson looks as if she is dressed in fairy floss, a bit bored but playful in this as if she is waiting for the tin soldier to propose that they play a cheeky practical joke on the wind-up tin mouse (not pictured. Imagined by me, in fact.)

The escapism, the fun, the freedom of expression and the confrontation of the self as pictured in the images and what they pose to the viewer are why I posted them. And because they're beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment